How to Cure Tendonitis in 6 Steps

tendonitis

How to Cure Tendonitis Without Surgery, Drugs or Cortisone Shots:

1- Stop Doing What Aggravates It

This is the first step to learn how to cure tendonitis and the most critical.  Most doctors would give this same advice (not I’m not a medical doctor). But it holds true in this case. If you can pinpoint what exercise or movement really makes your tendonitis feel worse, then try and avoid such movements. If there’s a particular shoulder or bicep or tricep movement that really turns up the burn, then for a short time period, don’t do that exercise.  One of the most important how to cure tendonitis steps is finding out what makes the pain worse and to immediately stop doing it.  Working thur this type of pain is the best way to make it worse.

2 – Ice

No more than 20 minutes. My own experience has been that 10 minutes works well immediately on the area when it’s inflamed and sore. You can use ice multiple times a day but only for short durations as you feel necessary.

how to cure tendonitis

3- Heat creams

This can be combined with the ice treatments. Most of the times, I have found that using a heat cream like AST Biofreeze, Tiger Balm or any other type of cream works well in a pre-workout situation. Warming up the area feels good. This can be used during the day and multiple times.

biofreeze

4- Support

Keep the movement of the area to a minimum. Tennis elbow gets aggravated the most when the area is under constant motion. By using some type of neoprene support, you can limit the motion of the area when it is not in use.  My favorite for years has been the BandIT Therapeutic Forearm Band.

5- Ultra sound

To be used by a qualified individual of course but it seems to help break up any scar issue. Healing from the inside is possible. Short durations followed by deep tissue and the application of a heat cream seem best.  How to cure tendonitis isn’t with ice and heat creams but breaking up scar tissue and allowing the are to heal.

6- Deep tissue massage

Again, short duration but deep rubbing on the affected area. Breaking up the scar issue and bringing enhanced circulation to the area is important.

Be Fit, Stay Strong!

Marc David – CPT

PS - If you have other tips that you can share on how to cure tendonitis, please feel free to share them in the comments below.

If you enjoyed this article, get email updates (it's free).

8 Responses to "How to Cure Tendonitis in 6 Steps"

1. Yuko:
    May 31, 2010 01:17 pm

I am sure deep tissue massage is the perfect answer for this problem..

2. December 07, 2009 12:11 pm

Tendonitis can appear nearly in any area where there is joint movement. Elbows are common, shoulders and knees. The same techniques can be applied.

4 months ago I went thru a nasty bout of shoulder tendonitis and applied the same principles AND with the help of a gym partner, he identified the way in which I was putting up the dumbbells to do a shoulder press wasn't correct. Without even thinking, I had one foot on the platform and the other flat on the ground prior to using my knees to kick the weight into position.

Didn't seem like a big deal but essentially I was hammer curling on the right! This slight adjustment to how I was putting the weight into position (comfortable for me but incorrect) made 100% of the difference. Form was the culprit!

Shortly after, my shoulder tendonitis disappeared completely because I stopped doing exercises that bothered it more and I had a second pair of eyes to check out my form. If you can't do this, video tape yourself and you might discover you are doing something ever so slight that would make the problem worse. For me, kicking up the weights into position, just the placement of my right foot prior to doing so was 100% of the problem!

3. Lily:
    December 07, 2009 11:53 am

How do I relieve the pain from shoulder tendonitis? Are there exercise that I can do ?

4. lisalater:
    July 05, 2009 11:57 pm

Hey, this is great. You spoke to everything I was feeling with what I believe is tennis elbow.

5. Peter Jack:
    February 24, 2009 12:40 pm

'V've found my long-lasting tendinitis is beginning to improve by doing the following:
    Never repeat an exercise without leaving 3-4 days between i.e. do a 4 split regime.
    Always perform the exercise movement without any weight for 2-3 minutes, as a warm-up, before and after performing the exercise proper i.e. warming up and warming down.
    Do constant variations of each exercise.
    All this avoids repetitive strain injury, the cause of tendinitis.
    Anyway it's working for me!

6. German:
    January 12, 2009 10:45 pm

what do you think about cortisone shots( inyections)
    i am a classical guitar student, and i have forearm tendinitis. i read in some medical website, and a cortisone shot was mentioned.
    do you know anything about it

7. June 12, 2007 07:25 pm

I’ve got some serious issues with my tendonitis or bursitis in my shoulder. This really limits my upper body workouts. I keep taking time off for it to heal, but I guess I come back to soon. It is a great excuse to get a massage, though!

8. June 12, 2007 07:25 pm